The Savusavu Community Foundation is acutely aware that tourism, and the modern world pose opportunities for employment, growth, and better lives for Fijians. These opportunities also threaten to alter Fijian culture in irreparable ways, and so it is critical to maintain, preserve and nurture Fijian culture.
The foundation is involved in the preservation of Fijian culture in a variety of ways:
- The Foundation supplies guitar strings for Fijian musicians to play their instruments.
- SCF has sponsored the Savusavu Music Festival several years. We encourage participants to demonstrate traditional Fijian dances and songs.
- SCF has sponsored mekes for guests of the JMC resort. (A “Meke” is a traditional Fijian dance that is combined with singing.)
- The Foundation has recorded classical and popular Fijian music for historical record
- Sponsored art fairs and sponsored local Savusavu artists to go to traditional art classes and forums in Suva.
How Can You Help?
If you are a doctor, dentist, educator or in construction and traveling to Fiji and would like to assist on a project, please contact us. For more information about SCF or to make a donation or grant, please contact us.Contact Us